06 January 2010

Twelfth Night (6 Jan)

Woke this morning to a Barford covered in a beautiful blanket of snow.
Massive, white flakes drift steadily outside my window, turning my world into a giant snow globe...

Today is Twelfth Night, the Feast of Epiphany: the day the Magi found the Christ child. 

Epiphany: sudden revelation or insight

Beginning a new year and, in this case, a new decade is all about epiphany. Standing on the precipice of a new year, new decade, the revelation and insight gleaned from the past 12 months, or ten years, should serve as reminders, warnings, and guides for all that lies ahead.

There is something in the air, apart from snow. These are heady days, and people around me seem to have a real zest and zeal about the year ahead, as I have not seen before.

"This is my year!" and, "It's your year, girlie, it's all you!" are the phrases I am hearing again and again from high-spirited friends. And, truth be told, I share their enthusiasm for the road ahead. 

I have no doubt that this will be a year of highs and lows, like any other, and I am thankful to have the DEB by my side whatever befalls. But there does seem to be an incredibly heightened sense of expectation all around.

I am hopeful, and I think that more than anything else is my resolve, to not lose hope. To keep dreaming, in the face of rejection letters, and the agents who initially seem ever so keen, promise to phone and then don't.

Perhaps, the "star" that the Magi were following, perhaps that was hope, too. Searching and believing in something utterly remarkable, yet unseen.

There is a tradition around here (elsewhere, too, perhaps) that all the Christmas decorations must come down today, or else the fairies will bring you bad luck. Well, that's that last thing I need, so I think I'll go and unplug the Christmas tree lights...   
 

1 comment:

Michelloui said...

I had never heard of the tradition of taking down the Christmas decorations by the 12th night until I moved to the UK. Apparently the original belief comes from bringing in the greenery over midwinter, to protect the spirits of the greenery, then taking it out again after midwinter so the spirits dont get restless inside and cause havoc! I wonder how it moved from a pagan belief to a Christian one, anchored on the 12th night... I love the history of these old superstitions! And I love following most of them--for fun or truth, you never know! ;)

Best wishes for a wonderful, healthy, successful 2010 fellow expat!