31 August 2009

Civilised

One of the things I love most about living in England, apart from the ample and steady supply of solid and liquid carbohydrates, in the wonderful societal institution that is 'The Bank Holiday.'

Bank Holidays are extended weekends with Monday as a day off from work. The Bank Holiday is a special treat -- I get to have my D.E.B. for an extra weekend day!

Like clockwork, Bank Holidays typically promise bad weather and great stuff on telly! So, last night, The D.E.B. and I indulged ourselves yesterday with raspberry trifle, popcorn, Bath Ale and part 1 of the latest adaptation of Emily Brontës’ Wuthering Heights, on ITV, featuring “Cute Brit Boy” Tom Hardy as Heathcliff.  

Here’s one for the Goth Girls…

Dark and brooding Tom Hardy as Heathcliff

You have to love the Brontës. Doom, gloom and despair. Lovely. 

I must say, I have always felt so sorry for Anne, the youngest Brontë sister. Think of it, one of your sisters writes Jane Eyre and the other, Wuthering Heights. Talk about literary pressure! Oy vey!

One of my favorite jokes about the Brontës is this: 

On a dark, rainy, afternoon, Papa Brontë is in his study. He calls Emily in to see him. She enters the room and finds her father holding a large book. “Emily,” he says opening the book, and revealing a dead, smashed bird inside. “Oh, Emily. Why can’t you just press flowers like your sisters?”

Fabulous. 

But I digress.

A break from the norm, a Bank Holiday is time to just do what you want. And it’s such a good idea the month of May has not one, but two Bank Holidays!

On one of the May Bank Holidays, the D.E.B. and our beloved hound, Lucy, walked from Wasperton to Hampton Lucy. It was a lovely walk, and on route to The Boar’s Head pub in Hampton Lucy, we paid a visit to the Charlecote Mill.

Charlecote Mill is an historic, working mill on the River Avon, which is even mentioned in the Doomsday Book (written in 1082). 

Although there has been a mill on the site since those times, the building that stands there now dates from the 18th century. 

(We love history!)




The present day millers at Charlecote Mill are still producing cornflour, wheat and wholemeal flour with machinery from the 18th and 19th centuries. 


The Mill has a variety of “Open Days” throughout the year where visitors can come in and have a look at the facilities and milling in process, and of course there are plenty of products to buy. I bought a small bag of organic, wholemeal flour, and am still using it. It feels good to support local industry, and help to keep places like Charlecote Mill open and running. 

Have a look: Charlecote Mill










Here are some photographs from our day at Charlecote. What looks like snow or dust is, of course, flour...

We have no such adventuresome plans today. We are going to do some work in our little backyard garden, and have a lazy day here at home. 

Ah, the Bank Holiday is such a pleasant and civilized thing.

5 comments:

Bohemimom said...

While I ADORED Jane Eyre, I have never actually gotten around to reading Wuthering Heights. Would you believe it? Maybe it should be on my to-read list. But don't tell anyone or else they might revoke my GothGirl membership card.

Vicky said...

Bank holidays are nice, but we have the smallest amount of them in Europe... no more now till Xmas! :-(

Iota said...

Of course we don't have long to wait till Labor Day.

Renaissance Grace said...

Hi,
I'm you in reverse, we spend long periods of time in Florida ( I know someones got to do it ) Bob the builder's family settled in Fort Walton Beach 40 years ago. I love it and have severe withdrawal pangs for Booksamillion amongst many other things . More power to you for putting up with our weather!
Susan

Kneazle1 said...

I always prefered Anne Bronte's writing when I was a teenager, absolutely hated Wuthering Heights but then I was forced to read it for my A Levels and disect it minutely. I loved the adaption though and I bought a new copy of Wuthering Heights a few months ago with the express purpose of attempting to read and enjoy it this time!