20 January 2009

We few, we happy few

Yes, I am still here. Life is a dizzying whirlwind at the moment. Today, I am actually working my magazine feature assignment, that is weeks late, and awaiting the remarkable change that is about to happen in America in just under an hour. I am so behind on all that has been happening blog-wise, Barford-wise and wedding-wise. I am flying by the seat of my pants/trousers. The swiftness and magnitude of events (political, personal and otherwise) is staggering.

Change is only constant in our lives. As the long, troubled past fades into memory and the new dawn arises, I had to mark this moment in some way. I had planned--a few weeks ago--to write something grandiloquent and profound to mark this unimaginable day. But find that I am moved beyond words. I find myself crying already, with still 50 some minutes to go. I never dreamed that a moment such as this could happen in my lifetime. 

We should count ourselves among the very blessed and lucky that we are still here, that we are living in and seeing these remarkable days. Those of us, no matter who we are, or where we are, whether standing in the cold streets of DC, or watching in the warmth of our homes, tens of thousands of miles away, we can all say: I was there. I saw it that day. I dreamed, I believed.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Harper said...

Love your post! Wasn't it fabulous to see. We made it to our viewing party and I cried in various places.

Rev, Lowry really affected me. He is such a figurehead in Atlanta. I couldn't help imagining him as he was years ago walking with Dr. King.

It's too strange that you were quoting from Henry V...

"From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers"

It's one of my favorites and John and I were just reciting a bit of it to each other when I opened your blog.

Random Thoughts said...

I am still waiting until I have some time to watch it. Preschoolers won't wait for lunch just because it is the biggest day in history.